Tuesday 25 July 2017

Clay face pots DIY

pic 1
pic 2
pic 3

pic 4
pic 5
pic 6




hello!! here is the first instalment of craft camp...a short run of D I Y's to keep little and big hands busy this summer. Before I begin I must add that his has been an idea brewing for a few years but I have always run out of time...this year I'm determined to get these posted so I apologise now if they are a little rushed/photos are bad/no punctuation/not explained properly. The thought was to get the ideas out there in time for summer holidays (I know I'm late and some have been off for weeks already) and hopefully inspire some activities this holiday when boredom strikes. Where possible I have linked to good websites that offer a more in depth description of some of the crafts. Hopefully you will be inspired and have a go!

You will need
- a pack of air drying clay in white (mine was from hobbycraft £3.50 and it made 6 small pots)
- rolling pin
- board or mat with a smooth surface
- knife, smooth edge/doesn't have to be super sharp
- paints ( I use acrylic in bright colours)
- paintbrushes
- clear varnish spray

- to make a pot, pull off a piece of clay the size of a small apple. Roll in to a strip making sure the depth/thickness is no less than 0.5cm (pic 1)
- cut along all the edges with the knife to straighten  and roll up into a cylinder shape (pic 2) put the remaining bits of clay to one side
- press the two edges together to join, try not to press too hard so the clay keeps it's shape (pic 3)
- using the clay you put to one side, roll in to a ball and roll out into a circle 0.5cm thickness, place underneath the cylinder and cut away the excess clay. Smooth the edges and make sure it is attached. (pic 4)
- make 2 more pots in different sizes and put in a warm dry place to set for approx 24 hours ( or however long the instructions say)
- when dry decorate the pots using the acrylic paints...I didn't paint the pots a solid colour first as I didn't have time and the clay was a nice grey/white colour but you can do this first if you prefer. (pic 5/6)
- when the paint is dry you can add a clear coat of varnish to seal in the colour and make them more durable but this is optional, if you keep them dry they will be fine as is.

finally you need something to put in them... but that's the next tutorial so check back soon!!!