Friday, 29 June 2012

the post about the shed.......


before I embark on this post...I will say that it will probably be the wordiest post I have ever done and apologise in advance for ... no punctuation..poor spelling and lack of technical wording...

As I have had many a question regarding the practicalities of shed working and tips on staying warm etc I have compiled a list for anyone thinking of taking up residence in their garden for regular crafting activity...I'm no expert on garden buildings so here are just some tips from my short time in there :)


- type of shed - 
If you are starting from scratch things to think about are size, headroom and light....sheds have a tendancy to be dark so I picked a 6' x 8' potting shed style that had 4 windows which you could fit on any side, you could also choose where the door went. Also my shed has a pent roof... higher on one side which means more headroom where you work :) 
Also worth mentioning is that mine is a tongue and groove type (not shiplap)


- exterior - 

whatever your shed type the best way to protect it is to paint it with an outdoor paint...I slapped on 4 coats of this before we built it as sometimes you can't always get to all 4 sides once it's up! I shall be re- coating again before the winter too....as according to my builder friend you can never have too much paint on a shed!
The roof is made from the normal roofing felt but has 2 layers just for extra protection and also in the future I may put one of those lovely corrugated tin roofs on :) (apologies for the overuse of the word roof there)

- position - 
if you already have a shed this won't apply but if you are picking a spot a good point is that it's not too far away from the house....saving you from those long dashes to and from in the rain..a sunny spot is always a bonus but sometimes a bit of shade can be good too


- inside - 
to keep warm and dry I insulated my shed with plasterboard and polystyrene boards...these were attached to the batons on the inside walls..but you have to let the walls have some room to breathe and not overinsulate as that can cause damp too....
I left some walls 'open' with gaps at the top so there is some ventilation...you might also want to insulate the floor...I didn't as I liked the look of my floor boards and it didn't feel too cold in the winter as I just had lots of rugs :)


the ceiling inside is insulated with silver bubble stuff ( the type you can put in lofts ) it really worked to keep the heat in ...this was attached with a heavy duty staple gun...once you have all your walls and serious interior stuff done then you do the fun bit and decorate :)


- electricity -

if you are going to work in there a lot I really recommend getting power put in....I had budgeted for an electrician so I had 3 double sockets and a fuse box installed as well as a very practical wall light ...


I struggle with functional lighting and was hoping to avoid it, most of the time I use my table light but I have to say the 'big' light is a big bonus when you go into your shed in the middle of the night looking for something and all you have to do is flick a switch!
if you are putting power sockets in think about where you will need them most..where you will sit...need light etc ....it might be worth noting here that I decorated before the electrian did his stuff...I figured he would make a better job of working through my walls of plasterboard than I would working round his plug sockets..


- filling it - 

once its all powered up and decorated its nice to just get your stuff and move in...my little shed is short on space so there wasn't a lot of choice where things went....wall shelves are a big bonus as are drawers that can fit under your desk....plastic boxes are perfect for storing fabrics and anything you need to keep clean and dry also I use vintage suitcases as they are great for transporting things in and out in the rain :) 
don't forget your heater...I use a small oil filled electric heater it heated up the shed in about ten minutes and I was toasty warm all winter....even now if it has been a bit cold or damp I put the heater on low for an hour to keep it dry. I think the reason it doesn't feel damp or musty in there is because I'm in there most days ...even at weekends I pop in to get away from the chaos air it :)


- other stuff -

a door curtain was brilliant for keeping the cold out in the winter and now in the 'summer' it's good for keeping out buzzy things...oh and it looks pretty :)
if we do get any nice weather it does get a bit warm in there...so I made blackout blinds which just go up with velcro when I need them..this stops a lot of the heat/sun coming in through the windows...otherwise I just have little curtains (mainly for security...imagine a burglar peeking in and spotting my stash of sheets!)


...bunting is always handy as it stops me banging my head a lot...I'm 5'9 so parts of the shed are lower than my height...when I first went in there I was seeing stars most days :)...other things to remember are a good padlock...fairy lights for the outside...possibly a small chair for visitors...( I do love having visitors in there )


.....so there we go...I hope this has been of some help to any who are thinking of doing this...like I said I'm no expert but these are things I learnt along the way ....my little shed is my favourite place to be....when it's sunny it's like working outside..when it's raining the sound on the roof reminds me of caravan holidays...when I'm busy it gets me away from distractions.....when I'm not busy I can sit in there and dream...



...have a lovely weekend 
x x x x x x x

43 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for this Jane. I have a bit of a Shed and Caravan mania at the moment ...I just love cute little dens, I suppose...Might have to pest the mR to convert our shed :0)
    Jacquie x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooops , meant ...pester the Mr !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your post, it's absolutely fabulous. What a lot of useful information. My hubby has said he will put me a shed in the garden and you've given all the info we need. You are truly wonderful! Also your craft room (it's far too posh to be a shed) looks lovely, lots of beautiful fabric. Thanks for sharing. Ali x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your creative shed is _so_ lovely!! I love living vicariously through you right now as a shed for me is just a dream!! :) I almost feel as if I've visited you now!! :) Thank you for sharing your pics and tips!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post and great shed! You have inspired me to sort my own garden room out. Not that I can sew but it would be somewhere to escape to!
    I might go down there this very minute and try to talk myself into it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely post about your shed. Love all the pictures too, I feel like I've had a nice nose around now ;)

    S x

    ReplyDelete
  7. jane, your shed is an absolute DELIGHT! Thank you for sharing your insights into shed life...I wish I could give my shed a crafty make-over, instead I will just 'pimp' it for my man I think :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for letting us nosey around! Love Katie x

    ReplyDelete
  9. it's one of my favourite places to be too! tea, weds???
    fee x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my word! This is the sweetest thing! I write interiors features for magazines and Id love to know about you. Im on fb, please get in touch. You have just made my day.
    nicky@whiterabbitmedia.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh I just love this. We are thinking of re-doing our shed as the bloke's man cave. Now I like the idea of a girly craft den :) x

    ReplyDelete
  12. I LOVE your shed, it's so pretty, i'm getting really happy when I see all this :)!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello.
    Thank you for that. We have a rather large shed at the end of our garden, with power and an alarm! The is one problem and that is it belongs to BigBean and his ugly metal toys, sorry, tools and the chances of me getting my sticky little mitts on it are non-existent. But I can dream. And now I can dream with top-shed-tips. Have a happy weekend, Ax

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm in love, it gorgeous. Enjoy your time in there!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love your shed! What a fabulous creative space!
    Victoria xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ahhhh I love, Loved this post Jane!!!! Sooo lovely & very inspiring. I want a shed of me own!

    Jo x x

    ReplyDelete
  17. This has been a very useful post Jane, thank you! I am out growing my dining room corner quite quickly now and have had the 'shed discussion' with my beloved! He thinks it's all very 'impractical' ( I wouldn't mind but he hasn't actually got a practical bone in his body, that's what I get for marrying a musician!) think I need him to read this one! I now just have too many vintage sheets and rolls of wallpaper I NEED MY OWN SPACE!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm in total awe of your shed......every corner is just the sweetest brimming with inspiration!
    Happy weekend Jane, I hope yours is full of sun!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oooooh a feast of ideas if my daughter ever vacates our shed....
    Its nice to see where you go to get creative
    Lx

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love this post - I really hope there will be a craft shed in my future so this is so helpful!
    Claire

    ReplyDelete
  21. It's such a pretty space to escape to, thanks for the tips. Good idea about the curtain on the door stopping the beasties getting in.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Awesome! You have decked it out in the most bestest Mrs Teawagon way.....I love it. I have a shed to play with......but I am rather nesh x Never mind the phrase men in sheds it's getting to be all about the woman now! x

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hey...Jane the Builder speaking ;-)
    What a great blogpost this is, inspiring!!
    How i wish i could visit your lovely shed, drink a cup of coffee over there in the sun...

    Have a nice weekend xx

    ReplyDelete
  24. I've been dreaming for a long while now, along with the shepherd hut in the wildflower meadow dream. If only the nasties next door would give us the bottom of their garden and a stranger would leave a shepherd hut by the door.

    Great post Jane. Loved having a nose and learning all the practical stuff isn't all that scary. I built a wooden wendy house with my dad once for the Bun's so I guess this is just the same, but bigger really.

    X

    ReplyDelete
  25. I haven't got a shed to do up, but I must say yours looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi Jane! What a beautiful and inspiring shed you have created! Would love to work in there everyday! Wishing you a lovely weekend! xo Heather

    ReplyDelete
  27. such a
    prett &
    inspirational
    work/escape - place
    my bedroom in france
    used to be a shed
    and i loved it
    now in spain
    i am saving
    furiously
    for a shed/studio
    happy making
    x
    ...

    ***

    ReplyDelete
  28. That's not a shed! That's every girls fantasy cubbyhouse complete with crafty goodness galore. What an inspiring little space you have made, no wonder you are so prolific. Thanks for popping over to my little blog to say hi recently too. melx

    ReplyDelete
  29. So, so jealous of your little den!!! I love, love, love it!!! If it were mine, I don't think I'd ever be inside the house!!!
    Carly
    x

    ReplyDelete
  30. jelous doesn't even come close! I want a shed!! I have a perfect spot for it but the other half would think I had gone bonkers right now!

    I can only live in hope! Maybe in a couple of years!

    Kate xxx

    ReplyDelete
  31. Oh my what good tips...thank you..you are so blessed to have such a sweet little place!
    Sending you lots of "happy" today my friend. xo

    ReplyDelete
  32. Thank you so much for this. I also dream of having my own little working shed where I don't have to tidy everything up all the time, but have been told by the man of the house that an ordinary shed "will never work". Now I can show him this and go nyah nyah - though maybe that's not the best way to get the workspace I'm hoping for ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  33. Thank you for sharing all of this fab info with us. I definitely plan on having a studio shed at some point and your tips are all great. Your little shed is sooo cute, both on the inside and out. Fiona x

    ReplyDelete
  34. I wish I had such lovely space for my crafting! Awesome interior and exterior as well. Feels cozy as I have been inside this shed.
    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  35. What a great space for crafting!!

    ReplyDelete
  36. OMG i love it all ;-)) I can't wait until my summer house is finished and can fill it with colour and yummy things like you have, dee x

    ReplyDelete
  37. Very nice re-do of a shed. I wouldn't have thought to fix up a shed for work space, but it sure does make sense!
    You are wise to have had an electrician in to wire it up for you, so you can have light and be comfortable.
    I love how organized you are with so much you need to put in that tight little space.
    So pretty and practical. I hope you have lots of visitors in time.

    ReplyDelete
  38. That is one very, very amazing shed! How I would LOVE something like that to escape to every now and then! x

    ReplyDelete
  39. So glad I found this post, as am looking at ideas for a shed, and your tips and photos are a great help ! Ps. Love your bags. Great piece in Mollie makes too !

    ReplyDelete
  40. So glad I found this post, as am looking at ideas for a shed, and your tips and photos are a great help ! Ps. Love your bags. Great piece in Mollie makes too !

    ReplyDelete
  41. Love your shed! I am looking to get one, so your post was really helpful ! Especially about the insulation. Saw your pretty bags in mollie makes too.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Thank you for this post, it's the best I've seen that includes practical tips as well as beautiful photos. I am in the process of trying to create such a space from a shed we have inherited in the garden. The paint is on, now I just have to get on with the insulation. Thanks again, your shed looks absolutely gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  43. Thanks so much for all the info, i found your gorgeous shed on pinterest and was wondering about heating and stopping the fabrics from getting damp etc. we are hoping to build one from repurposed doors and windows etc i am crossing my fingers that we will get going on it this spring :)

    ReplyDelete

Hello, lovely to hear from you :) x